Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A keeper!

Mostly NOT to the liking of my family, I love to try new recipes. The vast majority of the time I get a "eh..." with a "so-so" hand waggle from the kids on my experiments in the kitchen. But last night, thanks to trusty Pinterest, I made a keeper! I would highly recommend this one: easy, fast and tasty. What else could you want? Here goes:
Chicken Parmesan Bake
5-6 chicken breasts (I used the smaller chicken breast tenders and probably used 10-12)
2ish cups of jarred spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not the grated stuff that comes in the green jar :) )
1 tsp. dry basil
1 tsp. dry oregano
salt and pepper
1- 5 oz. bag/box of garlic croutons

OK, spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray (or drizzle with olive oil, I did the cooking spray).
Lay the chicken breasts in the pan and sprinkle the top of the chicken with the oregano, basil and salt/pepper.
Pour the spaghetti sauce over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle about half of the mozzarella on top of the sauce.
Put the whole box/bag of croutons on top of the sauce. Kind of push them down into the sauce so they stick down in there.
Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella and the parmesan cheese on top of the croutons.
Bake uncovered at 375 for 30-35 minutes (make sure your chicken is cooked through--may need longer if you use larger chicken breasts)

This recipe is great because it sort of (but not exactly) tastes like chicken parmesan without the frying mess! The croutons are sort of chewy on the bottom and crispy/crunchy on top. I don't know how much healthier it is because look at all that delicious cheese, but it is a one-dish-wonder and I love those. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

1 comment:

  1. I made this recently too (from pinterest of course)! We loved it! I liked the crunchy part better, so I might try putting the croutons on later next time. Yum!

    ReplyDelete