Friday, February 19, 2010

Excuses and Reasons

So there are all sorts of reasons not to do things. I don't have the time for that. I don't have the money for that. God is not calling me to do that. You could certainly call those things reasons. But careful, there. Those could very well be excuses.

Did you know that it is estimated that about 30% of Americans consider adoption at some point while only about 3% actually do it? So there are 27% of people out there who have maybe had this laid on their heart, then either brush it off or watch that dream float away as the years pass...then they look back and think, "Man, that was something I really wanted to do."

Here was our list of past "reasons":

Can't afford it

What will we drive?

Our house is too small

What if there is some scary unknown disease that this child brings home?

How is this going to affect our bio kids?

They will resent us!

People will think we are crazy

Can't afford it

People will think we are doing this just because "we want a girl"

I do not want to drive a stupid mini-van!

All this paperwork for a baby? Let's just get pregnant!

Where do you even start?

What if the plane crashes when we travel...we leave our two other kids as orphans for crying out loud!

Can't afford it

Is this really God's will for us?

How am I going to do that hair?

We are too young for 3 kids...under 4

This is most definitely not the right time.

I really don't think I'm that good of a mom anyway.

How are we going to pay for this?

It costs what? Where are we going to find the money for that?

Can't afford it

Both kids are potty-trained. I deserve a break.

Here's the deal, friends. It's not about US. It's not about ME. Much as we'd like to think, and much as our heart breaks, it's not even about the kids. It's about HIM. About the One who wants us to follow His lead. He wants to be the answer to every question. He is the answer. A wise mama Amy says "We limit God with our excuses. We limit God with our fears. By doing this, we are actually robbing ourselves of the blessings, robbing ourselves of the true joy, robbing ourselves of truly living."

Listen to this quote too, and see what you think: "Children are often described as resilient, but the truth is that they are usually ignorant of the alternative" ~Maya Angelou.

OK, my friends, heavy stuff. Please, please, please know that I fully realize that adoption is not for everyone. I would never try to push it on anyone. But for those who have considered it, even felt called to it, but maybe looked at that list and said, NOPE, NOT FOR ME, please, let God soften your heart. For some of you, your spouse may be your excuse. Guess what! God is even bigger than your spouse!! I can tell you some great stories about how God overcame those barriers as well. Trust me. More than that, TRUST HIM. Much love to you all.

And thanks again to Amy for the inspiration for this post.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post....We are in the process of adoption and I had tears of fear today for the first time. Your questions nailed it on the head! It amazes me how God sends His messages. Praise you Lord!!!!!

    ReplyDelete