Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ready for something new!

Anyone else suffer from spring fever? I think I get it every year. When it's time for the end of the school year (man, I hope my kids don't get that from me...I struggled so hard with that every single time finals would come around!). When it's time to play outside, when I want to be moving on, gettin' goin', open the windows, let the fresh air in--literally and figuratively!

I am quickly coming to the end of my time in regular practice as a midwife. This is obviously bittersweet--and hard for me to adequately express although I probably will spill my guts at some point--but the time is coming. I have no doubt it is the right decision. The right decision isn't always the easy decision or the one we necessarily want to make. But here I go! Diving into the world of semi-retirement. A dear friend, Kristin, and I are in the same boat and we are leaning on each other so much in our happy/sad moments of mourning the loss of some freedom and personal fulfillment that comes from having professional satisfaction, while knowing that our children and we will all benefit so much from us being home.

I know God has big plans in store for me (and for you, Kristin!)...no doubt in my mind. Jumping off the career path for the time being is a leap of faith in so many ways. To me, it's saying "God, I trust that when and if the time is right for me to come back into this chosen calling, You will make a way for it to happen. If not, I trust You will make that clear to me as well." I humbly accept your prayers as I wrestle through these next few weeks of transition with my job and with my family. I know there will be tears--newborn cries and probably a midwife's tears as well. I am blessed to be in this position. I know that, and am thankful. I am thankful for the rock of God's word as well--these words from Isaiah are so exciting to me!

Isaiah 43:18-19: "But forget all that--it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."

Wonder what He's got in store? Can't wait to find out!

2 comments:

  1. You will be missed, but not by your children and that is really the most important thing! I will miss seeing your face around work, but I am secretly jealous of the increase in time you will have with your fam...well I guess not so secretly jealous now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're going to love being home... it feels so good to live without regrets. Take good care during this transition.

    ReplyDelete