Saturday, May 8, 2010

This, and then this, and then this, and then this...

You are hereby witnessing my very first moment as a mother. Overwhelming joy, relief that it was OVER (I don't know what I was thinking, that anything was over once the baby was out!), my first instant in finding out that I had a SON. This is where it all started...and then this...
Less than 2 years later, here we go again. Again--joy like I've never known. Joy in knowing that I really could love another little person as much as I loved that first little person! Joy in discovering that even though we had a matched set with our two sweet little boys, that their personalities and God-given makeups could be so very different. Oh, things were so very different that second time around, in so many ways! And then this...

A sweet girl to add to all that boy-ness. Just what God had in mind for us. Finding out that mothering a daughter isn't all that different from mothering a son, except there are a lot more hair accessories involved. Learning that just because your child didn't grow inside you doesn't mean that the mother-love you have isn't as physical and primal as if they had. Maybe even a little more because of your overwhelming desire to protect them from the tragic circumstances they have already had to overcome. Discovering that a baby can be one of the bravest people you know. Hearing everyone tell you how "lucky" that baby is to be in your family, when you know the truth--YOU are the blessed one to be her mama. And then this...

Oh, sweet baby boy. Still my baby boy. Tate, which means "he who brings happiness". Right on, baby! So. Much. Joy. Mothering this 4th babe means cuddles, bumps on the head, more cuddles, and finding out that yet again, another boy doesn't mean a replica of the other two. Nurturing 4 little souls, having them entrusted to my care, watching them learn, seeing their minds work, hugs, kisses, funny words and phrases, memorable moments, teachable moments, and love love love love. I am humbled God chose me to be the mother to these precious gifts. I am thankful. More than I could ask for or imagine...

1 Samuel 1:27 "For this child I have prayed, and the Lord granted me my request."


Posted by Picasa

1 comment: