Friday, April 23, 2010

A little "Lift"

Have you ever noticed that I have a little bookshelf over to the left side of my blog? Well, I do. And believe it or not, I am actually reading all of the books on that shelf. I am always interested in knowing what other people are reading at any given time, so I thought someone else might be interested in knowing what's on my bookshelf. Maybe not. Anyway. Those books are often on that shelf for a looooong time. I usually have 3 or 4 books going at one time. It kind of depends on the day as to what I'm in "the mood" to read that day. So it does take me awhile to get through books sometimes.

The book "Half the Sky" that's over there on the shelf? I think I've been reading it since Christmas. I have to take it in small doses. My friend Abby said it well, in that it is such a "good" book, but like she said that doesn't seem like the right phrase for such a book. But it is an important book, in my opinion, so one I am taking my time with.

"Lift" by Kelly Corrigan, however, is a nice, easy read. I actually had it my car and would read it during preschool pick-up wait times. I make the most of my time, friends! There are days when I get my Bible reading in during preschool pick-up time. And if you have time or the inclination, I would strongly recommend reading Kelly Corrigan's "The Middle Place" rather than "Lift". I got "Lift" because I liked "The Middle Place" which is what publishers want us to do! :) But "Lift" was written as a letter to Corrigan's daughters, and in my humble opinion, probably should have stayed just as that...there wasn't any groundbreaking wisdom or even any spiritual truth that she passed on to them. More just "I love you more than I could ever tell you, so I will write a book about it." I'm honestly not trying to diminish her love for her daughters or her desire to tell them that, I just probably shouldn't have wasted my precious preschool pick-up time reading it! And that's my 2 cents on that one. That shelf has already been filled by a new Karen Kingsbury book called "Shades of Blue." I'll keep you posted. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment